Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK
The Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) is the official archive for the reception and permanent preservation of public records in Northern Ireland, a division within the Department for Communities. PRONI is distinguished by its combination of official public records and privately deposited records.
Following the partition of Ireland and the destruction of the Public Record Office of Ireland in Dublin during the Four Courts fire of June 30, 1922, PRONI was established under the Public Records Act (Northern Ireland) 1923. It opened to the public on March 3, 1924, on the fourth floor of a former linen warehouse on Murray Street, Belfast, under first Deputy Keeper Dr. David A. Chart. In April 1933 it moved to the first floor of the new Royal Courts of Justice. Its first purpose-built repository, on Balmoral Avenue, opened in 1972 — the first new UK record office built since the Public Record Office in London. PRONI relocated to its current purpose-built home in Belfast's Titanic Quarter in March 2011. It marked its centenary in 2023-2024 with a "Celebrating a Century" programme.
PRONI holds over 3 million records dating from 1219 onward, though most date from after 1600, including records created by government, local councils, schools, hospitals, and courts, as well as private records from businesses, churches, politicians, artists, writers, and landed estates. The oldest document held is a 1219 Papal Bull of Pope Honorius III, part of the Abercorn Papers.
PRONI is located at 2 Titanic Boulevard, Titanic Quarter, Belfast, and offers free access to its collections along with public search and reading rooms.
Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI)
Department for Communities
2 Titanic Boulevard, Titanic Quarter, Belfast, BT3 9HQ, United Kingdom
Website: proni.gov.uk
Sources
Public Record Office of Northern Ireland. Who We Are
Ulster Historical Foundation. Public Record Office Northern Ireland (PRONI)